Never Backward, Always Forward: A Lesson in Continuing Education

"Never backward, always forward." - Pops (Luke Cage, 2016)

During my gap year, I prioritized my learning. Starting in the fall semester after I graduated, I started taking classes at my local community college. Part of the reason I started taking classes was because I lacked psychology courses (which were prerequisites for many of my programs), but over the past year and a half I have come to really appreciate all of the classes I've taken during my gap year. 

I've been taking classes year-round; taking two psychology courses (I'm currently taking my second psychology course), statistics, anatomy, and embryology. While all of these courses are either required or encouraged by my programs, I've come to appreciate the importance of continuing my education.

Taking courses has helped me to maintain good study habits. Especially since graduate school can be very demanding, it is important to maintain the groove of studying that I mastered by the end of my undergraduate career. Speaking for myself, the mentality that I have in my job versus in school are very different, and I really have to shift gears to put myself in a mental space that is prepared to learn in a classroom setting. So, taking classes, even online ones, has basically helped me to practice being a student again!


Not to mention the fact that taking courses is a great way of reviewing concepts and keeping old information fresh! Especially during my statistics class, taking classes was a really great way for me to practice and re-master certain concepts. It had been at least a couple years since I had taken any sort of statistics class, and being able to refresh that knowledge was really helpful for me to feel more confident in my skills. Even anatomy, which I had not taken before, was great in helping me to review many of the concepts I learned in my physiology course.

Finally, learning to value life-long learning and continuing your education will only help you to adjust to your new normal! Once you graduate and pass your boards, genetic counselors need to earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to maintain their certification. CEU credits can be earned through participating in conferences, webinars, or attending CEU certified events. These are to make sure genetic counselors are growing and learning with their field, so they can continue to provide their patients with the best care!

In January, I will be starting the embryology online course offered through the University of Cincinnati! What are your plans to continue your education?

Speaking of CEUs...

For any GC's or GC students interested in rare disease, check out the Southern California Rare Disease Genetics Meeting.


I've been super busy planning and organizing this conference for my lab. We are currently accepting abstract submissions and are offering CEU credits!

Comments

Popular Posts