Update: Midterms Still Suck

Cheers to managing to get out another update amidst all the chaos of school!

The past month has been...quite a journey. With midterms, projects, and presentations the last month and a half has felt like a marathon, and it has me eagerly looking forward to Thanksgiving break. I know in my last blog post I wrote about getting into the swing of things, and I am here to tell you that school is starting to feel like when you would try to go really high on a swing, but then you realized that you were really far off the ground and with every swing you felt like you were that much closer to swinging all the way around the top. At least, that's how the last couple of weeks has felt.



My Halloween Costume: Hemo-goblin
October was extremely busy. We had our first big test and a midterm in my Human Molecular Genetics class. It kind of took the wind out of my sails for a bit. I'll be honest with you, the week leading up to my exam, I was running on coffee and the promise of a day where I would get to sleep in past 7 am (that day has still not come by the way). After the exam, I felt like I was teetering on the edge of burning out. After pushing myself so hard through undergrad, I've become extremely familiar with the feeling, and it was a little alarming but reassuring to notice that I was at the end of my rope and I needed to do something to fix it, or I would be out of commission of a few days (and with the pace of grad school, that's just not something I could afford). So, what did I do? I went to bed when I was tired, instead of staying up to get ahead on work. I gave myself permission to not study, went out with friends, and shared meals––oh, and I went to therapy. In the end, I started to feel more like myself, less tired, and as October turned into November, I started to feel less like a zombie.

KGI Genetics Program's Scary-o-type
Something that I have been struggling with in this past month has been this feeling of guilt whenever I do something outside of school work or studying. I haven't been able to enjoy myself when I go out and do activities with my friends that is meant to be a break from school, because I feel like I need to be studying and working all the time. Any moment I spend away from my studies is plagued with thoughts of, "I really need to study." It's extremely distracting and has honestly put me in a funk. I couldn't even enjoy Halloween, my absolute favorite holiday, because I needed to go home and study. I wish I could say that I've found a trick to allow myself to enjoy my time outside of school, but I'll be honest with you, I haven't. Someone told me recently that "Grad school is part of life, it isn't life." That is something that I have been reminding myself of over the past couple of days, and I hope one day it will actually stick. Until then, I am grateful for friends who get me out of the house and remind me that there is a life outside of Bayesian problems and imprinting mechanisms.

But, I got to do some really fun things this past October as well! The genetics programs at KGI (MSGC and MSGDA) got dressed up to participate in Hallo-gene 2019. One of my classmates came up with the great idea to do a karyotype, since there is so many of us. We didn't win, but I'm already excited to step up our game next year.
Another fun thing I got to do was speak to the genetic counseling student interest group at UCI! It was really nice to be able to talk about my program, and to share my experiences and whatever advice I had with a room of prospective GC's. And, I got to do it all over again during KGI's virtual student visit! A couple of my classmates and I were on a student panel during the virtual visit and had the honor of answering questions about our program, our application process, and our experiences so far, in addition to a bunch of questions from prospective students.

I know that this blog has kind of deviated from where it was a year ago, but I am still very dedicated to sharing my journey and experience with you all, and I appreciate all of you for sticking around for this long. I know that applications for the next cycle are open, and I want to let you know that I am still available to answer any questions or just to vent about the stress and anxiety of it all, just send me a direct message on twitter or instagram!

I wish you all the best of luck as you prepare your applications.

Comments

  1. It’s obvious some patients with herpes are being enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2015 until I was introduced by a blogger who also narrated her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr Sikies Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from genital Herpes. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promised to keep telling good things about Dr Sikies. Please feel free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on mail Drsikies@gmail.com He deals with Alzheimer virus, Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Genital, warts, ALS, BV, UTI, Virginal infection, Genital, Wart, HPV, Hepatitis A/B, Good luck, HSV, Pregnancy, Ex back.  

    here is his website: https://drsikiesherbalcure.weebly.com
     
    you can reach me via mail: anitalawson515@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get curative herbs for both herpes and hpv contact Dr Noah to get natural herbal remedies to eradicate both herpes and hpv. The medicine has no side effects, Text/Call or WhatsApp +1 (310) 438-5740

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're looking for a Life coach? So contact ours the Coach. I'm a Life Coach Counsellor we provide the Best family life counseling. For more info please visit our site or and click here: Best life coach in Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  4. A DUI charge can also result in canceling your license. Moreover, such serious issues can be avoided. However, these stay on your record for a longer time. And, if you are found guilty of doing such activities more than once, it can also cause severe penalties along with long jail time or imprisonment.

    So, DUI Evaluation Decatur are usually suggested to reduce the risk of similar incidences. In such programs, your addiction rate is examined, and the treatment is indicated according to that. The rate of risk differs from low to high. There are some advice for behaving or handling the evaluations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW I GOT RID OF HERPES VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU

    I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) or email (ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com)and get all your problems solved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to applaud my beautiful wife for finding out about Dr Ozigidon who helped us with the National Lottery Jackpot winning numbers to win a whopping sum of £184 Million in the Euro-million win. My name is Joe Thwaite, 49, and my wife is Jess Thwaite, 46, from Gloucestershire. On May 10, 2022 we became the biggest national lottery jackpot winner after we had contacted Dr Ozigidon to help us become a large winner in the lottery with his powerful spell because my wife and I have read a lot about his powerful and effective spell. He gave us the winning numbers after casting the spell and assured us of victory. We followed and obeyed Dr Ozigidon spell instructions and today we are celebrating after winning the record-breaking Euro-Millions jackpot of £184M from the draw on Tuesday 10 May, 2022. Thanks to Dr Ozigidon because his good work has really been wonderful with his magical spells. We usually play the lottery but coming up with a big win has never been our thing not until we came in contact with Dr Ozigidon who a lot of people have been so thankful to for his miraculous doings. We are so grateful to this power sorcerer Dr Ozigidon. For giving us victory with his powerful spell. We decided to go public to motivate others and also to tell everyone about Dr Ozigidon powerful spell. Contact him today if you wish. His email: drozigidonhenz.spell.net@gmail.com ]. We need extraordinary confidence to make things happen magically in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts