What do I do now?

Do you have a personal or family history of cancer? Yes. 

Cancer, often defined by my biology professors as a rogue cell, who's propensity for growth goes unregulated, allowing it to multiply exponentially until the amount of daughter cells (offspring, copies, clones) is significant enough for a doctor to even recognize it, let alone acknowledge it as a threat. 

I do indeed have a family history of cancer.  

While many people dread hearing the word "cancer," it often sparks a bit of interest in me. During my fall semester in my senior year of college, I was fortunate enough to be one of the first students to take a course on cancer biology. In this class we focused on several of the genes (affectionately known as "the blueprints of life") behind the hallmarks of cancer. I have always be enamored with genetics, and studying cancer through the interactions between various genes and gene products (the biochemical materials produced by expressed genes) inspired a sort of passion for cancer genetics research. 

However, after graduating with my bachelor's degree in biochemistry, I found myself at the crossroads at which many post-graduates find themselves: What do I do now? 

After many nights of googling, "what to do with bachelors degree in biochemistry?" I stumbled upon the website for the National Society of Genetic Counselors; and after a few more nights googling, "what do genetic counselors do?" I had an answer to the post-grad question. I am going to be a genetic counselor. 

Overall, this blog is intended to document my process of achieving that goal. From building my experiences, to the application process itself, I hope to connect with certified genetic counselors as well as other aspiring genetic counseling students! 

Additionally, I hope that this blog can help to promote the field of genetic counseling, provide other students with resources or advice about applying to genetic counseling programs, as well as help to educate and promote scientific literacy about genes/genetics and cutting-edge research for the general public. I will do my best to make this blog as approachable for individuals with varied levels of scientific experience (especially those with little/no scientific experience!). 

I am excited to go on this journey with all of you! 
Let me know in the comments if there are any topics you'd like me to cover!


Comments

Popular Posts