Life Update: Summer Edition!

Hello Everyone!

So, I unintentionally took a summer hiatus but, I am back and wanted to share quick life update with you guys!




This summer was a whirlwind and kind of seemed to fly by, but in all seriousness I am glad that September is just around the corner.

The main reason I stayed busy this summer was a highly-intensive and condensed anatomy course I was taking. Although none of the programs I am applying to explicitly require anatomy, after speaking with various program directors, I thought it would be best to give myself a solid foundation in anatomy. I also signed up to take the online embryology course offered by the University of Cincinnati! The online courses offered are perfect for someone who wants to take some extra courses but needs a more flexible option to work with their other obligations. They are all "go at your own pace", which really worked out for me since I didn't anticipate having to dedicate so much time to my anatomy course. But, now that my anatomy course is over, I am very excited to finish up the embryology course.

I also really wanted to use my summer to work on my personal statements ahead of time. Since I'm applying to a few programs, I wanted to be sure that I had the time to craft statements that I was proud of; so, I started with about four or five different personal statements, all of which I ended up scrapping, and wrote a brand new personal statement. It all happened when I was talking with my friend about why I wanted to be a genetic counselor (a question that many programs will ask you), and it really all came down to a central idea. From that conversation, I just started typing out my thoughts onto a document, doing my best not to edit myself along the way, and the result was a personal statement that (I feel) is the most honest about who I am as a student and who I want to be as a genetic counselor.

Overall, my summer was extremely busy. I spent most of it allowing myself to learn and grow, which was difficult at times, but ultimately necessary. While I'm a little sad that summer is ending, I am so excited for the next phase in my journey. I have so many ideas for future blog posts, and I can't wait to bring you all along on my journey of applying to programs.

Thanks for bearing with me through the radio silence!

Of course, I didn't spend my entire summer studying and working...

My roommate and I went to New Orleans!
We pretty much lived off of beignets for three days.
I created a patient education presentation at
CCPKUAD Family Day


My friends and I went to a 90's themed brunch.
We got out hair crimped.

I chopped all of my hair off and
went to Disneyland!

Comments

Popular Posts